I feel like it’s been a while since I have posted anything, and that’s about to change. Recently, as promised, I resigned from my position as District Executive with the Boy Scouts of America so that I could travel the world. Of course, that was not the only reason that I choose to resign from the position for a number of reasons.
1) There was this one person that I worked with who was probably the most condescending person you will ever meet. I could sit here and write an entire blog entry on everything that he said or did that was not okay by me. He just had a way of making me feel bad about myself and knocking myself esteem and making me feel as if I were not doing the work.
2) Then, there was someone who I worked with, who was the most miserable person that you will ever meet. First off, I cannot fathom how someone can be so unhappy in their life. I mean, what the hell happened to someone that makes them the way they are? It is not okay. Mark you, I get it, misery loves company, but still, stop trying to bring everybody else down. And the one thing that I genuinely did not get, is that this was a woman who has been married 4 times. Now, here is the way I see it, if you have been married four times, and you are not a celebrity, then clearly you are the problem. As for me, I am actually nice to people, and it took me five years to find a good, kind, caring, warm, affectionate man. I mean, this person, she just made the workplace the most unbearable place to be. I mean, if there is one thing that I have learned about the work world, it is that the people make the place. The way I see it, is that you are not necessarily going to like everyone that you work with, but you still have to respect them. I have done nothing, ever to warrant the way that I was treated by this lady or anyone else in the workplace.
3) The company had unrealistic goals, and every time we did not meet those unrealistic goals, we would get yelled at. And I mean, literally yelled at , day in and day out.
4) The company did not care about their employees. We were just numbers, just working ants to them. They could care less about employee satisfaction and creating a desirable place to work.
5) Now, the volunteers I had to deal with, they were just awful. They always needed something, and if you did not get it right the first time, they just flew off the handle. They expected you to have it right the first time.
It got to the point where my mental health was seriously being effected. I was getting stress headaches, my muscles were aching, I was not sleeping well. I had no time for my friends or family. I was smoking, drinking, slowly falling into a deep depression, and I knew it was time to get out.
See, the way that I view the world is world is that you only live once. Nobody should be living with regrets. For so long I had been living my life for other people, well, I finally choose me. I needed to live my life for me. Therein comes Italy. I choose to explore myself and find my voice again.
Since resigning from my position, I am the happiest I have been in a long time. My stress level has decreased, and I have an amazing boyfriend. He was worth the wait. In other relationships, I used to think I was a horrible girlfriend, but, that was not it at all. It was just that I hadn’t met the one yet. Not until now.